Re: Benchmarking Sybase and Oracle? (No flame wars please)

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/01/08

In article <32D2DA87.253ECFAA_at_sos.on.ca>, Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym_at_sos.on.ca> writes
>Yuan John Jiang wrote:
>>
>> Daniel S. Hayes wrote:
>>
>> > To start off, you assumed incorrectly; Sybase is faster than Oracle.
>> Sybase has the reputation of raw speed. But what happens
>> when you have simultaneous updates and record locking is
>> involved?
>
>Are there any meaningful benchmarks for dataservers? In particular,
>I am looking at hitting a database of several thousand records
>several hundred times per second from several hundred remote locations
>and wonder if this is even possible.

From the sound of that your problem is likely to be with the network rather than the database.

>Also, I understand Oracle and Sybase both have provisions for
>running parallel dataservers and I wonder how much effect this could
>have on the above scenario (since we would also be adding in the
>replication overhead to the transactions per second)

Oracle Parallel Server does not use replication. It allows several nodes in a cluster or MPP system to access the same database simultaneously. Its main problem is the overhead caused by transferring cached data from one node to another.

Sybase MPP is similar, I believe.

--
Jim Smith