Re: More (or less) on bit-mapped indexes

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/01/08

Martin Smith wrote:

> I finally got some news on BMIs today: bad news. It seems our
> just-upgraded HP-UX Oracle *still* does not actually support BMI's.
>
> BMI's require 7.3.2.2, it seems, whereas we have the totally passe
> 7.3.2.1.
>
> I guess that accounts for the fact that there was zero documentation on
> BMIs on our CD.

  It seems that Oracle 7.3 has already supported bitmap indexing. You can refer to Oracle Performance Tuning Reference for detail.

> Next question#2: Can anyone offer any hope that the upgrade to 7.3.2.2
> is easy and does not require a DB rebuild (I do fervently hope.)

  You can upgrade the Oracle software and then upgrade the database object option without rebuild the database.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841