Re: How to add and populate a new column?

From: John Verbil <jverbil_at_netmail.mnet.uswest.com>
Date: 1997/01/07

Roger Snowden wrote:

> John Verbil <jverbil_at_netmail.mnet.uswest.com> wrote in article
> <32BB0B5C.6663_at_netmail.mnet.uswest.com>...
> > I don't see how. ROWIDs have no correlation to any ORDER BY clause in a
> > cursor. ROWNUM will assign numbers 1-N to each row returned based on
> > the ORDER BY clause.
> > John Verbil
> > U S WEST Communications
>
> Sorry, but this is dangerously incorrect. ROWNUM is a psuedocolumn which
> identifies relative row number within a result set, and is assigned BEFORE
> the order by clause is executed.
>
> Roger

Whoops, you're right of course; I must've been brain-damaged that day. I meant to say GROUP BY in a VIEW, like so:

create table ABC
(

        SOME_NUMBER number
);

create view ABC_VIEW as

        select SOME_NUMBER from ABC group by SOME_NUMBER;

select SOME_NUMBER, ROWNUM from ABC;

This will return the rows from ABC in SOME_NUMBER order with ROWNUM representing the order number.

Sorry for the original brain-damaged response.

--
John Verbil
U S WEST Communications