Re: Sybase or Oracle? (No flame wars please)

From: Michael Fanelli <mfanelli_at_dimensional.com>
Date: 1997/01/07

Sybase will lock as low as the page level. There is no row level locking. This is a huge problem for databases with a lot of update activity. At my current contract site, kludging a workaround for this took up a lot of time and resources.

Quirks like this are the reason that speed benchmarks really don't mean much, no matter which company runs the tests.

Yuan John Jiang <yjj_at_mci.net> wrote in article <32D15FF5.1839_at_mci.net>...
> Daniel S. Hayes wrote:

I heard that Sybase locks the whole table whereas Oracle only locks the record. Is it true. Received on Tue Jan 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CST