HELP: ODBC and VB is driving me crazy...

From: Manuel Dias <mdias_at_idite-minho.pt>
Date: 1997/01/06

I've started to use Visual Basic 4.0 (16b) to access databases via ODBC, and get some stupid errors that are driving me crazy. Can you help me? ( before I smash the computer..)

First Question:
  I'm working with ODBC to connect to a   database in oracle and I’ve attached tables   from this database using Visual Basic 4.0 (16 bit).   When I try to update or delete fields   from this table, i get error message:
    ‘Object or database not updatable’

  and my database has access for read and write!   What should I do ?

Second Question:
  I want to access a text file throughout ODBC   in Visual Basic 4.0. I added a control data   in my form, and in connect property, I wrote:

"ODBC;DSN=MyTextFile;"

  When I run the program it opens my text files   containing the data I uses. But when I try   to execute an SQL statement I get an
  error from Visual Basic:

"ODBC - Call Failled"

  What’s going on with Visual Basic?
  Visual Basic is getting mad or what ?

Please write to: mdias_at_idite-minho.pt Received on Mon Jan 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST