Re: Connecting to a database with OCI

From: Tim Smith <tssmith_at_best.com>
Date: 1997/01/04

On 3 Jan 1997 11:01:19 -0600, bettis_at_inetnebr.com (Mr. Jeremy Bettis) wrote:

>If I have just a host and a SID, how can I connect to a database using OCI.
>It seems that I need to know the SQL*Net alias for that host/database.
>
>Is there something I can do?

If you are using SQL*Net V2 or V3, you create your own database aliases in a file called tnsnames.ora. The location of this file might differ from platform to platform, but is usualy in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.

The easiest (and recommended) way to add an alias to tnsnames.ora is to run the SQL*Net Easy Configuration utility. But note that if you are connecting using both V2 and V3, you have to run both versions of SQL*Net Easy Configuration, and add the alias(es) using both.

If you are using Oracle Names, I can't help you, as I have no experience with that. Received on Sat Jan 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST