Re: AIX and SSA

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/04

In article <32CD6C21.FAB_at_ibm.net>, Halina Monka <halina_at_ibm.net> wrote:
>Paul Rech wrote:
>>
>> Got to love those acronyms.
>>
>> These questions is for anyone who is running Oracle on RS/6000's with
>> AIX and SSA.
>>
>> Is it correct that SSA on AIX is RAID 1 only, meaning it is mirrored but
>> has no striping?
>>
>> If this is so, then I do/can manage file placement to maximize
>> performance, correct? Or does SSA have some other funkiness that makes
>> this useless?
>>
>> The reason for the second question is that no one here is sure about
>> whether it is RAID 1 or RAID 0+1. And I cannot find anything in our AIX
>> manuals or in the Oracle for AIX docs that definitivley answers this.
>>
>> Paul Rech
>> Oracle DBA
>
>I run Oracle Financials on AIX4.1.4 with SSA ( 10 * 2.2GB).
>I striped data/indexes tablespaces on 5 disks and mirror ( AIX logical
>volume copy ) to 5 other. I read that next generation of SSA subsystems
>will give you RAID5 ability.It could be available by now.
> Check with your IBM sales rep.
>Halina Monka

There are a number of issues here.

What version of AIX are you running?
Are you using raw or cooked files?

In theory all of the RAID work should be in the volumne manager and at a level that Oracle would not see. Depending on the versions and releases there may be other issues as well.

Hope this helps

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Sat Jan 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST