Re: Oracle Connects

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/03

Note: What I'm relating is from my experience in a previous life as as an Oracle customer, not an Oracle employee.

There are traditionally two methods of licensing (besides the site-license), specifically named-seat and concurrent-user. Named seat means you buy X licenses, and even if only X/2 people use the products at any given time, you have paid for X. With concurrent-user, you purchase X licenses, even though you may have in any given day a total number of X*2 people use the products. The distinction is that at any given time, no more than X users will be using the products.

In my previous life, I tried to circumvent this licensing restriction by having an NT server pull data from Oracle, and then have the users get the data from the NT server. But the wording in the license agreement (and this is for the rest of the industry as well) defined the users as being the clients getting data from the NT server, even though they were indirect clients. I thought I was setting this up as a 1-user license, but in turned out to be the same as if I had the clients directly connected to Oracle. It appears that what you're describing below is a variation of what I attempted to do.

On Fri, 03 Jan 1997 08:38:22 -0500, Michael H Reddish <Michael=H=Reddish_at_msd.ray.com> wrote:

>Trying to figure out how many licenses I need for a particular
>application that will be accessing an Oracle Database via ODBC. If my
>max of concurrent users in the application at any given time will be 20
>Users, Do I need 20 Oracle licenses? Or can I assume that connections
>will be only when an SQL Request is made and it is disconnected after
>the data is returned to the Client, which would mean I do not need 20
>licenses. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could Email me
>their throughts.
>
>Thanks, Mike

Joel

Joel R. Kallman            See Oracle technology in action!
Oracle Government          http://govt.us.oracle.com
Bethesda, MD
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri Jan 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST