Re: Personal Oracle vs Workgroup Server

From: Paul <bfekrat_at_erols.com>
Date: 1997/01/03

Leong San Io Francisco wrote:

> It is puzzling. I first believed that Personal Oracle is an inferior product
> when compared with the Workgroup server. Recently, because of a Netware
> server failure running Workgroup server 7.2, we had to put a temporary
> server running Win95 workstation (enhanced IDE drive) and migrated all the
> data to it. The workstation has fewer memory than the server and also the
> server has a fast SCSI harddisk, but the workstation runs queries nearly
> 5-10 times faster than the server! The only difference is that the
> workstations are newly acquired and have better CPUs (P-133) while the
> server is still a P-90 - but I think that the difference shouldn't be THAT
> much. Since the netware server is back now, I'd like to tune the server so
> that at least, it could come nearer the performance of the workstation.
> Could anyone give suggestions? (The data on both are the same and so are the
> SQL statements for the queries, so I dismiss the possibility of tuning the
> SQL statements). Thanks.
>
> Francisco Leong
> d941686_at_umac.moEven if you had the same number of "users" (did you?), Personal Oracle
only allows for one user and upto 25 "sessions". I wonder, assuming you had the same number of connections, if the win'95 version ran faster because you were connecting "sessions" and "users"? I don't really know -- but I do know that for each "user" that connects to your Oracle SERVER, a PGA is allocated. Received on Fri Jan 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST