Re: Date Manipulationan Someone Help - PLEASE ???

From: Ashok Kapur <afkapur_at_ccgate.hac.com>
Date: 1997/01/03

BC Computing Limited wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> First off, Happy New Year.
>
> Now to the problem at hand, I have an input form written in
> FORMS 4.5, with a date entry field, I want the user to be able
> to enter the date in any format, but to store it and display it
> in DD-MMM-YYYY format.
>
> Yes, it's probably very simple but I've only just finished
> celebrating and I can't quite get my head round it at the
> moment.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated and warmly received, get
> again - HAPPY NEW YEAR - Hope to here from someone soon.
>
> Please reply to CHRIS_at_bccomp.demon.co.uk as I don't get to check
> the Newsgroups every day, Thanks a Lot...
>
> T.T.F.N

Dates in Oracle can be entered in many formats. But in order to store it in a DATE field, you need to supply a date format. So, from your Forms application, users can enter a date in any format as long as they also provide the format.

I would recommend that you provide two fields, one text field where a user enters the date and the second field where the user selects a date format (a dropdown list of available formats). The application can then store the date in a DATE field and display the date in DD-MON-YYYY or any other format that you may want to display the date in.

For more information please refer to the SQL Language Reference manual or feel free to contact me.

--
Ashok F. Kapur    | Galaxy Latin America |
Project Engineer  | (954)958-3373        |