Re: Q: how to properly start up and shutdown Oracle?

From: Joel Garry <Joel.Garry_at_pebble.org>
Date: 1997/01/02

 NP> From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>

 NP> Charles Chen wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I just finished installing Oracle 7.3.2.1.0 on Solaris 2.5.1 on a
>> Sparc10. It is currently up and running since I can go into SQL*Plus
>> and query the default EMP table. However, I would like to know how to
>> properly shut down Oracle both manually and by some automatic method.
>> In addition, I was wondering how to automatically start up Oracle when
>> the Sparc10 is rebooted. Thanks for any help you can provide.
>>

 NP> Hi there,

 NP> To shutdown oracle manually, do the following.

 NP> 1. Logon as Oracle account (unix user)

 NP> 2. SQLDBA lmode=y

 NP> 3. connect internal

 NP> 4. shutdown (or) shutdown immediate

 NP> I think in Oracle 7.3, you should use svrmgrl (server manager) instead of  NP> SQLDBA.

 NP> To automatically startup Oracle when the system boots up, you need to add
 NP> entries to /etc/rc (in digital box). It may vary for each of the OS. But
 NP> there is a file in /etc directory in which you should call script dbstart
 NP> which is present in $ORACLE_HOME/bin

 NP> Moreover add the Oracle instance in /etc/oratab file.

 NP> Hope the above info helps you..

SYSV installations would likely have files under the /sbin/rc2.d/S* to start up and /sbin/rc1.d/K* to shutdown. See man rc. You would probably want a line like
su oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart" > $ORACLE_HOME/dbstart.log after setups for the environment.

jg   Received on Thu Jan 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST