Re: sqlload, mission impossible ?

From: Raoul J.M. Riley <rjmriley_at_acm.org>
Date: 1997/01/02

Ron wrote:

> Salman Mughal wrote:
>
> > We have been trying to load a file with lots of lines line the following :
> >
> > "423567","I would not touch it with a 10" stick","35",
>
> The comma at the end of the line could be construed as another field. You might try
> OPTIONALY ENCLOSED BY to avoid that problem. I don't know if the quote in the middle of
> the line will do.
> >
> > Needless to say we have tried at least a dozen other methods and none worked.
> > We cant use substr either as we dont know how long the "description" field
> > will be.
> > You can use LTRIM and RTRIM functions to eliminate known characters at the beginning and
> end of fields without knowing the exact size.
>
> Good Luck,
> Ron

To load data containing a puctuation mark that is also used as a delimiter, you need to use two adjacent delimiter characters, i.e., if you change the line

        "423567","I would not touch it with a 10" stick","35", to

        "423567","I would not touch it with a 10"" stick","35", SQL*Laoder will interpret the data correctly. The comma at the end of the line does no harm.

-rr Received on Thu Jan 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST