Re: PL/SQL : How do you echo text to screen ?

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1997/01/02

aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) wrote:

>I am new to PL/SQL and need to echo some strings to the screen.
>Something to the equivalent of
>
>echo 'This is a test'; in shell and
>select 'This is a test' from dual ; in SQL
>
>In PL/SQL I can do the following :
>
>begin
> declare product char(7);
> begin
> select part_number
> into product
> from table1
> where part_number='123456';
> end;
>end;
>
>This only puts the part_number in the variable product. I would like
>PL/SQL to display it on the screen somehow.
>
>As you can see what I am trying to do is rather simple but my lack
>of experience in this area is preventing me from achieving it.
>
>I would appreciate any helpful hints.
>
>Atif Khan
>aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Hi there,

Try the following in SQL prompt

<<
set serveroutput on
begin

   declare product char(7);
   begin

      select part_number
         into product
         from table1
         where part_number='123456';
      dbms_output.put_line('Retrieved value is : ' || product);

   end;
end;

dbms_output.put_line is equivalent to echo, it works only when SERVEROUTPUT is turned on.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Thu Jan 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST