PL/SQL : How do you echo text to screen ?

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/01/01

I am new to PL/SQL and need to echo some strings to the screen. Something to the equivalent of

echo 'This is a test'; in shell and
select 'This is a test' from dual ; in SQL

In PL/SQL I can do the following :

begin

   declare product char(7);
   begin

      select part_number
         into product
         from table1
         where part_number='123456';

   end;
end;

This only puts the part_number in the variable product. I would like PL/SQL to display it on the screen somehow.

As you can see what I am trying to do is rather simple but my lack of experience in this area is preventing me from achieving it.

I would appreciate any helpful hints.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Wed Jan 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST