Re: OCI tutorial/description

From: Adrian P Challinor <Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/31

On Sat, 28 Dec 1996 14:25:01 -0800, jdaly_at_atscanada.com (Jim Daly) wrote:

>In article <32b815ca.5989626_at_PersonalNews.Germany.EU.net>,
>balu_at_urdolph.du.eunet.de says...
>> Since it seems to be the most undocumented feature on my Workgroup
>> Server, I'd like to know if there is a tutorial, an alternative API or
>> something else available for Oracles OCI Interface?
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Arne
>>
>The Oracle Call Interface is a (very) low level interface to the Oracle
>server and requires a fairly deep understanding of the interface
>architecture, especially as it related to managing internal structures
>such as cursors. The interface is defined in the OCI documentation,
>consisting of a general manual, and language specific manuals. Unless
>you need to implement low level data access directly, you should avoid
>using OCI. You should be able to do do everything you need through the
>pre-compilers (Pro*c, etc.). If you want to experiment, there are some
>examples on the distribubtion, under the ../oci72/samples directory.
>
>Jim Daly
>Product Architect

HMM, Not sure I full agree with this. The API is just that, an Application Program Interface. Its JUST a set of function calls. Some are convoluted, but thats the nature of the design.

It is faster than PRO*C, its is more controllable. Its a LOT easier to write dynamic SQL in. And, big plus this, it DOES NOT require you to re-link between version of Oracle. Provided the operating system can find its library file on the original link, you have a pretty fair chance it will operate when you upgrade Oracle. try that with PRO*C going from Oracle 7.1x, 7.2x up to 7.3x Received on Tue Dec 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CST