Re: Q: how to properly start up and shutdown Oracle?

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1996/12/30

Henry,

	I believe the Oracle install script creates the files necessary
	to auto start the db on transition to multiuser.  I haven't
	set this up in a while but check under /etc (better yet -
	read the manual - it may be in the OS specific installation
	guide) for a file called 'dbstart' or 'orastart' - or just
	grep -i oracle /etc/*.  You simply edit that file and put
	a 'Y' or 'N' for each SID on your system as to whether you
	want it to autostart or not.  As far as shutdown, you need
	to put a script in the /etc/rc*.d directories.  This is also
	how you would do the startup script, but I believe Oracle
	installer already does this, so all you need to do is edit
	the /etc file.  For example, if you want the db to be up
	when in run-level 3, the startup and shutdown script should
	be in the /etc/rc3.d directory.  Look at the other files
	in that directory and you'll get the idea.  It should also
	be explained in answerbook if you have it.  If the scripts
	mentioned by Barry below aren't on your system, just create
	them yourself with the appropriate commands and call them
	from you rc scripts.

Good Luck

Allen

--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services