Re: #Deleted message showing in all fields on an access form

From: Pete Cresswell <pete_at_voicenet.com>
Date: 1996/12/29

Re/28 Dec 1996 21:10:19 GMT, "Trevor Hughes" <bambi_at_southern.co.nz> :

>The main problem I'm encountering is that when I open one of my forms for
>data entry (main form subform opened in data entry mode due to the large
>number of records) all the fields have #DELETED in them.

I'm not speaking as an expert, but I have done some work with Access/Sybase, and look forward to developing a significant app from scratch using this model.

This doesn't directly address your '#Deleted' situation, but one thing I've found is that performance is better and problems are fewer if forms show only a subset of the data and use Sybase stored procedures whenever possible.

Often I'll show a scrolling list box on the left of a screen and details of the currently-selected list box entry on the right. I'll open the screen with the list box empty, the detail fields invisible, and a "Find" button enabled.

The assumption is that nobody in their right mind wants to see an entire dataset - instead they're looking for something specific. The "Find" button pops a dialog that lets the user ask for what they want and then tailors some SQL to select the apporpriate subset for list box's RowSource. e.g. All people whose names begin with "Smi".

Once the list box is populated (just two columns: recordID (hidden) and some sort of user-friendly identifier like a person's full name... ) code behind the list's OnUpdate event feeds a passthru query that calls a Sybase stored procedure that retreives the table data corresponding to the recordID in the currently-selected list box entry. I then load the returned data into unbound fields on the screen and, if necessary, make them visible.

Likewise, code behind "Add", "Change" and "Delete" buttons feeds info from the unbound fields to Sybase stored procedures.

By using Sybase stored procedures to do all the retrieval/updating, you tap into the power of the server, reduce network traffic, and have fewer weird errors... Received on Sun Dec 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CST