Re: OCI tutorial/description

From: Jim Daly <jdaly_at_atscanada.com>
Date: 1996/12/29

In article <32b815ca.5989626_at_PersonalNews.Germany.EU.net>, balu_at_urdolph.du.eunet.de says...
> Since it seems to be the most undocumented feature on my Workgroup
> Server, I'd like to know if there is a tutorial, an alternative API or
> something else available for Oracles OCI Interface?
>
> Ciao,
> Arne

The Oracle Call Interface is a (very) low level interface to the Oracle server and requires a fairly deep understanding of the interface architecture, especially as it related to managing internal structures such as cursors. The interface is defined in the OCI documentation, consisting of a general manual, and language specific manuals. Unless you need to implement low level data access directly, you should avoid using OCI. You should be able to do do everything you need through the pre-compilers (Pro*c, etc.). If you want to experiment, there are some examples on the distribubtion, under the ../oci72/samples directory.

Jim Daly
Product Architect Received on Sun Dec 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CST