help needed with simple privlege issue - question 2

From: Dwayne K. King <dwayne_at_dwayne.FreeNet.Kiev.UA>
Date: 1996/12/28

Hi all,

Yet another one of those privilege questions. I am sure this is done on every development box in the world, but our DBA(?) insists it can't be done.

We have an application owner (lets call it userid APP). Now, what privileges must the APP user grant to a developer that must be able to modify any objects under APP. For example, go into Procedure Builder, change the trigger and save it.

I have tried granting CREATE ANY PROCEDURE to the developer. This works in a way. It allows the developer to do a CREATE OR REPLACE, but we still can't just go in and edit it like we want.

More to the point, we are trying out SQL*Navigator (what looks like a great tool by the way). It has a Check-in/Check-out feature that we would love to use, but right now, everyone just makes their changes logged in as the application owner. Obviously this short-circuits the source control, since everyone is effectively the same user. I have been lobbying to set it up to have them log in as themselves and then change the application owners object there. This must be possible !?

Any help is appreciated. TIA

--
Dwayne K. King              | "I think there's a world market for about five
Computer Systems Advisor,   |  computers."  Thomas J Watson, Chairman of IBM