Personal Oracle vs Workgroup Server

From: Leong San Io Francisco <d941686_at_sp2>
Date: 1996/12/28

It is puzzling. I first believed that Personal Oracle is an inferior product when compared with the Workgroup server. Recently, because of a Netware server failure running Workgroup server 7.2, we had to put a temporary server running Win95 workstation (enhanced IDE drive) and migrated all the data to it. The workstation has fewer memory than the server and also the server has a fast SCSI harddisk, but the workstation runs queries nearly 5-10 times faster than the server! The only difference is that the workstations are newly acquired and have better CPUs (P-133) while the server is still a P-90 - but I think that the difference shouldn't be THAT much. Since the netware server is back now, I'd like to tune the server so that at least, it could come nearer the performance of the workstation. Could anyone give suggestions? (The data on both are the same and so are the SQL statements for the queries, so I dismiss the possibility of tuning the SQL statements). Thanks.

Francisco Leong
d941686_at_umac.mo Received on Sat Dec 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CST