MSAccess->Oracle ODBC->Oracle7 Server Problems

From: Michael Huttinger <huttinger_at_ipact.com>
Date: 1996/12/23

Hello,

We will be having some clients using MS Access to view/update tables in an Oracle database on an OpenVMS Alpha server. While just about everything works well, we do have one significant problem. When trying to ADD or UPDATE items from MS Access that refer to an Oracle LONG or LONG RAW data type, we get the following error messages:

   ODBC -- update failed on attached (linked) table 'TABLE_NAME'

and then:

   [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Invalid string or buffer length. (#0)

All tables are linked via ODBC (over SQL*Net) to our Oracle7 server. We are running the following versions of software:

   MSAccess 7.00
   Oracle7 ODBC Driver 1.13.5.0.0A
   SQL*Net Client 2.2.2.1.0
   TCP/IP Adapter 2.2.2.0.0
   Windows95 w/ Microsoft TCP/IP
   Oracle7 server for OpenVMS/AXP v7.1.5.2.3

Anyone know how we can update LONG data types withing Access?? Anyone already doing this??

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

--
Mike Huttinger
huttinger_at_ipact.com                           IPACT, Inc.