Re: Larger than 2G Raw partitions on 4.2 Dynix

From: <vidya.shankar_at_firstdatacorp.com>
Date: 1996/12/23

The latest on the problem we have here is :

For some reason, Oracle creates datafiles of sizes,

will create                  will not create

1 G and 2 G                    3 G and 4 G
5 G and 6 G                    7 G and 8 G
9 G and 10 G                  11 G and 12 G
13 G and 14 G                 15 G

Note : The sizes mentioned above are the raw device sizes. The datafile sizes that are given in the "Create Tablespace" command are 1m smaller than the raw devices sizes.

We did not go beyond 15 G. Further, on a raw device of 15 G file, we are not able to create the sizes that are mentioned under "will not create" title. Therefore, I am not sure whether to look at boundaries as the problem for the partitions. The errors that we get are :

ORA-01119: error in creating database file '/oracle/u01/oracle/desp/tbs/desp_userindex01_001.dbl' ORA-07245: sfccf: unable to lseek and write the last block. SEQUENT DYNIX/ptx Error: 22: Invalid argument

This error occurs very immediately after the "Create Tablespace" command is issued.

When we try to create a datafile on the sizes mentioned under "Will not create" and invariably, oracle would let us create files which are 1m smaller than a multiple of 2048. That is, on a 3 G file, we can create only 2047, on a 4 G file again only 2047 m, on a 7 G file 6143 (2048*3 -1) and so on...

What could be the problem...?

Thanks again for your time...

Sincerely