Problem connecting to Oracle 7.3

From: Paul Andrew Hosking <phosking_at_atlantis.actrix.gen.nz>
Date: 1996/12/23

I have been having problems connecting to Oracle 7.3 from Powerbuilder. When I try to run my application in development mode, I usually get a SQL*Net error (TNS-12637:Packet receive failed). However, if I attempt to connect to the database again immediately after I get the error message (I simply retype the password in my application's login window and press "OK" again), I connect without any problems.

Unfortunately, once I compiled an executable version of my application, I discovered that it would not connect to Oracle regardless of how many times I tried to log in. This happens with both machine code and p-code executables.

It seems as though it is a Powerbuilder problem as opposed to an Oracle problem, as Oracle applications such as SQL*Plus connect to the database without any problems.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am running PB5.0.02 connecting to Oracle 7.3.2.2.0 via SQL*Net Client 2.3.2.1.3. I am primarily using the Powerbuilder O72 database driver, but I have also tried the beta O73 driver without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.

---
Paul Hosking
Applications Developer, Innovus Ltd, Wellington, New Zealand.
phosking_at_actrix.gen.nz
--
phosking_at_actrix.gen.nz