Re: help on Oracle Web Server vs IIS

From: Don Berryman <berryman_at_mail.qp.gov.bc.ca>
Date: 1996/12/19

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:41:05 -0600, nkimtong_at_starnet.gov.sg wrote:

>Hi,
>Have anyone try out Oracle Web Server or MS Internet Information Server(IIS) to build
>web pages that can access to Oracle database?
>
>What are the Pros and Cons of these options?
>Is there any better options?
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated

Oracle Web Server should be viewed as a Data Backend for an actual Web Server.

I think Oracle's terminology is extremely confusing, most people call the httpd a Web Server. Products that do this are: Netscape's Enterprise Server, IIS, Apache, Spy Glass & NCSA. Oracles calls this a LISTENER, which is only a minor component of the Oracle Web Server. The majority of Oracle Web Server involves connecting and directing data between the the LISTENER and the DATABASE. In fact Oracle includes the Spy Glass httpd on their CDROM but you can replace it with Netscape's or Apache (but not IIS). This is also why Oracle Web Server never shows up on any of the httpd surveys, since it is hiding behind something else.

Why do you want to run Oracle Web Server? Simple, you will be apple to port your Forms4.5 application to a Web Application by just selecting the Generate Web button. That is what I have seen in the seminars recently. Oracle seems to thing the future is the Web and will be Web enabling all their products within the next year. Received on Thu Dec 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CST