Re: Q: WHY THE UNIX USER ACCOUNT oracle CAN NOT LOG INTO ORACLE?

From: Oracle DBA <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1996/12/18

In article <32B68997.7B68_at_lilly.com>, swisshelm_at_lilly.com says...

>Charles Chen wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I just recently installed Oracle 7.3.2.1.0 on Solaris 2.5.1 for a
>> Sparc10. I tried to log into the Oracle Server Manager with my UNIX
>> user account oracle, which belongs to the dba group. During the
>> installation, I was reading the installation manual which said that I
>> would be prompted to give a password to the dba group in order to
>> connect to Oracle as the internal DBA user INTERNAL. However, I did not
>> see any prompts to give the dba group a password. I was wondering how
>> to make it so that the oracle UNIX user account can log into Oracle
>> besides creating an Oracle database user account with the same user_id
>> (oracle). I appreciate any help on this matter.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Henry
>
>I am not aware of how to set a password for the CONNECT INTERNAL
>command. We use is as you describe above. The UNIX 'oracle' account is
>part of the dba group. This enables the account to use CONNECT INTERNAL
>in srvmgrl to connect as the SYS user.
>
>We also set up an OPS$ORACLE account so that the UNIX oracle account can
>log in using a /. We have a number so SQL*Plus scripts that we like to
>run through cron for monitoring. SQL*Plus doesn't support the 'CONNECT
>INTERNAL' command, so we have to have some other way to connect. We
>don't want to hard-code passwords, so we use OPS$ORACLE.
>
>I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it helps.
>--
>Bob Swisshelm
>Eli Lilly and Company
>swisshelm_at_lilly.com

It will not prompt you for a password if the user is in the "dba" group. If you want to have it prompt you then you need to set up the orapwd stuff and still then local connections will not prompt you. If you do not want a user to connect interanl then you simply take them out of the "dba" group.

I think Henry is a little confused, not to say Oracle documentation is not confusing :') Received on Wed Dec 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CST