Re: Q: how to properly start up and shutdown Oracle?

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1996/12/17

Charles Chen wrote:

> Hi. I just finished installing Oracle 7.3.2.1.0 on Solaris 2.5.1 on a
> Sparc10. It is currently up and running since I can go into SQL*Plus
> and query the default EMP table. However, I would like to know how to
> properly shut down Oracle both manually and by some automatic method.
> In addition, I was wondering how to automatically start up Oracle when
> the Sparc10 is rebooted. Thanks for any help you can provide.

  You can shutdown manually by logging in Server Manager and then type shutdown normal AFTER all Oracle users log out including the the users in client side. If you cannot shutdown normally, you can type shutdown immediate or in the worst case, type shutdown abort.

  For automatic startup and shutdown, you can write a script according the procedure you startup and shutdown Oracle. Then create a K and S script for under rc0.d and rcS.d.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841