FK and NULL values

From: Peter Aku <paku_at_gpu4.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: 1996/12/16

Hello everyone,

I have encountered the following problem more than once and I would like to find out if anyone has some leads into a solution to it.

FK1 is a foreign key defined on table B. FK1 is composed of more than one column.

If NULLs are allowed on those columns (FK1) in table B, when a row which contains NULLs on any of the columns that compose FK1, ORACLE allows these NULLs to be inserted, as expected. However, no validation is performed on the foreign key constraint. Inconsistent values may be introduced through this kind of addition or update exercise.

Does any one out there know of a work around?

Is there something that can be done in the design to correct this kind of problem?

Please respond to: adominguez_at_pre-print.com

I am using someone else's account since I don't have access to newsgroups directly.

Thanks a lot in advance. I really appreciate your help,

--
Ana Dominguez