Re: IDENTIFYING USERS

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.au>
Date: 1996/12/14

collinsde_at_ic.gc.ca (denise collins) wrote:

]
]I am fairly new to developing in Oracle. Is there any simple way
](with the aid of a DBA) to capture the TCP/IP address of an end-user
]who is logged on to Oracle under windows 3.1/windows 95. Any help would
]be greatly appreciated.
]
]Regards, Denise.

I am trying to do this too, to monitor the license usages. We have a network license agreement, and it is proving difficult to find out how many people are useing one or more instances at any one time. The instances are spread over various machines, some unix, some NT.

Anyway, the best I have been able to come up with so far is: For SQL*Net type connections; I can get all of them with a `netstat -an` and grep for the listner's socket number. This looks pretty good.

For those who telnet in and run old style Forms, I haven't got a good solution yet. The best I have is:
look at MACHINE and TERMINAL in V$SESSION - if the MACHINE is local, look in a `who` for the TERMINAL. Nearly all the time, the comment in the `who` for that TERMINAL is the host name of the connecting PC (or whatever). Some don't get entries here, I don't know why. Once you have this host name, you can look it up for the IP number.

I would appreciate anyone elses thoughts on this too,

Regards,
George Dau
gedau_at_mim.com.au Received on Sat Dec 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CST