Re: Is OS authentication secure enough?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/12/11

Bob Yeh <ryeh_at_juno.com> wrote:
>I am running server 7.2 on Sun solaris 2.4(sql*net 2.2) with PC Window
>and UNIX clients. IS using OS authentication scure enough?

I think so. But it won't let you connect as an OPS$ (o/s authenticated) user from an unsecured o/s like Windows or DOS. If the client o/s doesn't require a user name and password to log in, the server won't let you connect to an OPS$ user. Unix to unix will work fine, but not DOS to unix.

>I have more than one servers. Is it true TWO_TASK variable does not
>support OS authentication? What environment variable shuold I use to
>allow the user to login the proper server with a '/'.

Cant say I know that one.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!