Re: SNA to read NT Oracle Database

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/12/11

Jose Garcia (garci_at_worldnet.att.net) wrote:
>Does anyone know of software for a CICS mainframe and an NT server machine
>to allow the mainframe access to an Oracle7 database on the NT server machine?
>We are using Microsoft SNA Server on the NT and due to program design (yes,
>this is a dumb goverment, DoD, restriction) only receive data from the mainframe.
>Due to a new program requirement, the mainframe now needs information located
>in our database but we can't send it.
>What we are looking for is software that will allow CICS to control, ie
>access, our database.

On the mainframe side, you can use Oracle's precompilers (Pro*COBOL, Pro*PL/1, Pro*C) to write CICS transactions that access a remote Oracle database using Oracle SQL*Net LU6.2 (which is SNA). These products are available in a convenient package called "Oracle Client for MVS".

For the NT side you will need an NT version of Oracle SQL*Net LU6.2. I don't think this is available just yet. Your Oracle representative should be able to give you information about planned availability.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.