Oracle vs SQLServer

From: Nicci Roth <nicci_at_ox.com>
Date: 1996/12/11

Hi,

We are currently using Oracle 7.3.2 on a Digital Unix AlphaStation 600 5/333 running DU 3.2D-1. We are in the process of setting up a Windows NT 4.0 Server running MS SqlServer. I'm soliciting opinions about moving from Oracle on a UNIX platform to SqlServer on an NT platform. What are your experiences with SqlServer - is it robust? Is it worth moving from Oracle/UNIX to SqlServer/NT? Oracle is our production database and handles queries from many different applications during the day. SqlServer is being brought in to support the back office (HR, Accounting) needs.

My original thought was to only have one database (less to support) and just have multiple database instances (production, back office, etc). But now I'm not sure. Has anyone migrated their production database to SqlServer/NT? Any opinions or stories (horror or good) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nicci

--
Nicci Roth
OTA Limited Partnership

If you can't find any other meaning in everything that's
happening, try to consider it as entertainment.