Re: Q: 7.3.2.1 -> 7.3.2.2 (I can't create a database)

From: Owen Crowley <owen_at_hodes.com>
Date: 1996/12/10

>Did this happen to anyone else?
>
>Connected to an idle instance.
>ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
>SVR4 Error: 22: Invalid argument
>ORA-07306: sms1sg: shmget error, unable to get a shared memory segment.
>SVR4 Error: 17: File exists
>Additional information: 1
>create database "test02"

Did the instance, test02 crash since your system's last reboot? Either your shared memory params need adjusting to accomodate your combination of three instances given their init.ora settings, or there are shared memory leftovers from an Oracle crash.

If you are on Solaris, use the command ipcrm to nuke shared memory and semaphores that you are really sure shouldn't be there. Before you do that, read the man pages carefully, and use ipcs (I think) to list what is there.

Owen

By the way, we tried 7.3.2.2, and after a couple of painful weeks decided to return to the devil we knew. Received on Tue Dec 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CST