Q: OFA and 7.3.2, error starting database

From: Gary Assa <gsa_at_li.net>
Date: 1996/12/06

I am not going to even get into why the hell Oracle changed OFA by putting an /app directory name in the structure.

We made a "soft" link from their NEW directory structure to our OFA, which of course was good until 7.3.2.

When I set ORACLE_HOME to /home/oracle7/product/7.3.2, we get the following error when starting up the database:

ORA-00205: error in identifying control file '/home/oracle7/data/test02/dbf/control01.ctl' ORA-09782: sfifi: another instance has the same database mounted.

A look at the udump file reports:

Instance 'test02:/home/app/oracle/product/7.3.2' has the database mounted already.

However, when we set ORACLE_HOME to /home/app/oracle/product/7.3.2, it works fine.

Why is this happening? Has Oracle somehow "forced" or hardcoded their new OFA structure into the control files?
It seems like it is now OIA (for "inflexible")

            http://www.li.net/~gsa/index.html
This is my signature file, not part of this mail message.