Re: database corruption problems -help

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/12/03

On Tue, 03 Dec 96 16:50:49 GMT, curtm_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:

>I am running Oracle Server v7.2.2.4 for Netware
>and I am having some very unusall problems.
>
>First are the sys.idl_*$ tables. The I cannot select
>from table idl_ub1$, due to an "inconsistant datatypes" error
>on one of the fields.

This is to be expected. sqlplus only deals with character data. Anything that is not RAW or LONG RAW, it will print. Anything that is RAW or LONG RAW, it will give you inconsistent datatypes. sys.idl_ub1$ has a long raw. if you really want to see it, issue:

column piece noprint
select * from sys.idl_ub1$
/

>Even worse is idl_sb4$. If I go into
>SQLPlus and do a "select * from sys.idl_sb4$" my server
>immediatly reboots!!

On that one, I would suggest you log a tar with support. The datatype for PIECE in that table is undefined, indicating a data dictionary issue. The server shouldn't reboot.

In short tho, neither of these tables contain anything you need to ever select out yourself. They are internal tables and aren't corrupt or anything.

>I cannot truncate or drop any of these
>tables. Even trying to do it will send an ORA-600 (serious error)
>to the trace logs.

GOOD, you shouldn't play with tables owned by SYS or SYSTEM. These are internal tables, they basically hold compiled code. You should not be messing them in any way (especially trying to truncate or drop them).

>The second strange item, is in server manager for Windows.
>In the schema folder and optimzer tab which shows a list
>of tables and whether or not the tables have analyze statistics.
>Toward the bottom of the list I get a bunch of garbage characters.
>
>The third strange item is a querey on v$compatibility;
>many items show 0.0.0.0.0 as their version. I thought all should
>be at 7.2.0.0.0 ??

That too is normal.

>Other than knowing something is really wrong, the database otherwise
>runs fine. Since my tablespaces were fragmented anyway, I did
>a full db export (with constraints,indexs,grants,etc). Then I deleted
>the db, created new tablespaces, and did a full import. This did solve
>my defrag problem, but not the strange ones mentioned above as I had
>hoped.

Except for the server manager issue, the others are not a problem. You should *not* be playing with the sys tables (never, never truncate, drop, delete, etc any of them EXCEPT for the sys.aud$ table and only when you really want to get rid of audit information), the select crashing the server is an issue, you should log a tar with support (it is not a corrupt database tho, more like a data dictionary entry isn't set up right).

>Any ideas ??

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Dec 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CST