Re: Q: How to tell if listener is up on HP-UX?

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/11/25

John Emmerling wrote:

> I have tried to run tnsping on the HP-UX side, however I don't seem to be
> supplying the correct arguments. I don't have any special privilege on the
> HP-UX side (other than normal user), I have administrator rights on the NT
> side.

Just try:

        $ sqlplus system/manager@$ORACLE_SID

This is a good way to test if SQL*Net is up on your server machine.

> I have some suspicion that the listener is not up on the HP-UX side, partly
> because the log file (lsnrctl.log) shows no recent entries, although the
> computer has re-booted fairly recently. Is there a daemon process I could
> check for before approaching the administrators?

I always just do the following from the HP-UX prompt. If the listener is running, a process running under the Oracle owner account will be shown with the name 'tnslsnr'.

        $ ps -ef | grep tns

> I can connect to the DB instance from other HP-UX hosts that are on the same
> LAN, however I am speculating that this is accomplished by means other than
> TNS (as you can see I am a newbie!).

Nope, all the same method...SQL*Net.

> Additional questions:
>
> The listener.ora on the HP-UX side calls the listener by a name other than the
> default "LISTENER". Could this present a problem?

Shouldn't make a difference. Make sure the port on which the listener is listening is the same as the one the PC is trying to use to contact the Oracle database.

> Also, I am having trouble with the "community" stuff. On the HP-UX side,
> community was set to "ORATCP". On the NT side, should I use "ORATCP",
> "ORATCP.world", or what? Can I use a raw IP address for "HOST" (as there may
> be DNS problems?

I don't think the cmmunity really matters if you are in a single community environment. We have had success connecting both with and without a community line in our connect strings. If you set up your environment with Oracle Network Manager, you'll have a community, even if you only have one in the entire network, e.g. TCP/IP.

--
Brian M. Biggs				mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.			voice: (513) 677-7661