Help Testing Data Collectors

From: <tarfay_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/11/22

 I am in the process of improving and /or automating a test to verify some customized data collectors written in small talk. The current test procedure is as follow :
1\ Data is manually entered in the collector application in the lap top. The small talk application uses watcom and access data bases. 2\ Data is transfered as transaction to Oracle 7.x running on a Unix box. 3\ A batch job is then run. This batch job will create views and populate the tables in the Oracle data base.
4\ A third party app. like F&T is used to query the views and tables.Currently this is done manually!!!?. Since this is very time consuming and rely heavily on the tester's work ethics. I am looking for a tool with a short learning curve that we could use to speed up the test and be able to test more scenarios and more important to make sure that all business rules are enforced through proper constrains implementation in both the collector and Oracle data base.. How similar systems are tested?
What are the right tools to use ?
What is the best way to verify that constraints match the business rules? any papers or books .
Any feedback or input will greatly be appreciated. Thanks
Tarig Received on Fri Nov 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CST