listener can't prespawn servers

From: Benson Branch <benson.branch_at_lucent.com>
Date: 1996/11/22

Greetings,

I am an Oracle newbie on a short schedule. I've managed to install Oracle 7.3.2.1 on a Solaris 2.5 box, along with SQL*Net 2.3 etc. The listeners for the database come up, and can be pinged, but if I try to have prespawned servers, they all fail to start. With tracing jacked up, I can see that the listener is starting the process 'oracle' in the proper $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory, but the servers never come up. The sqlnet.log file contains an entry for each server that tried to start, which begins thusly:

Fatal OSN connect error 12153, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(COMMAND=prespawn)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(SERVICE_ID=1)(TIMEOUT=10)
(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=sunr.lucent.com)(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=techtonic.cb.lucent.com)(PORT=1525)))

What newbie mistakes should I check for?

Thanks in advance,

Ben Received on Fri Nov 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CST