Re: What is an extent ?

From: Christine Wenk <wenk_at_tendon.nlm.nih.gov>
Date: 1996/11/22

Allen Kirby (akirby_at_att.com) wrote:
: An extent is a group of contiguous blocks in Oracle that belong to the
: same object, such as a table or index. Each object is made up of 1 or
: more extents up to a specified maximum. Extents allow the designer to
: limit the amount of space initially allocated to an object but allow the
: object to grow later by allocating additional, possibly smaller extents.
: I don't think extent stands for anything. Sorry, that's the 'extent'
: of my knowledge on this subject.

: Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:
: >
: > SQL reference manual talks about how to increase and decrease the number of
: > extents but doesn't actually say what it is. Looks like short for "extensions"
: > Maybe not. (Minimum extensions, maximum extensions) doesn't make sense.
: > I looked up "extent" in webter and their description of the word extent doesn't
: > seem fitting either. Any ideas ?
: >
: > Thanks.
: >
: > Atif Khan
: > aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

: --
: ---
: Allen Kirby AT&T ITS Production Services
: akirby_at_att.com Alpharetta, GA.