Re: Newbie Tablespace Question

From: <dhblue_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/11/19

Phil,

Congratulations on becoming an Oracle DBA. We are the most respected professionals in the IS industry :^).

Running out of tablespace room will cause the database to stop working. Your users will recieve a message indicating that the database is unable to allocate another extent of size X in tablespace Y. You should examine your tablespaces asap to determine how much room is left in them and then monitor them frequently thereafter.

To determine how much room is left in your tablespaces, run the following script:

clear columns
clear breaks
column tablespace_name format a12 heading Tablespace column bytes format 999,999,999,999
column blocks format 999,999,999
break on tablespace_name skip 2 on file_id skip 1 on report compute sum of bytes blocks on tablespace_name compute sum of bytes blocks on file_id
compute sum of bytes blocks on report
set pagesize 54
ttitle center 'Tablespace Free Space Report' select tablespace_name, file_id, block_id, bytes, blocks from user_free_space order by tablespace_name asc, file_id asc, block_id asc;

If you need help adding datafiles to a tablespace please email me and I will be glad to assist. The best book I have ever used is Oracle DBA Handbook by Kevin Loney by way of Osborne/Oracle Press. This book has been updated and should be available soon if not now.

Best Regards,

Jim Mumper Received on Tue Nov 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CST