deployment of new stored objects without a local dba

From: Dwayne K. King <dwayne_at_dwayne.FreeNet.Kiev.UA>
Date: 1996/11/19

Hi there,

I am looking for input from people on how they do deployment of new versions of DB packages, triggers etc. if you don't have the luxury of a local DBA. The people there will be trained on the network s/w, but nothing on the DB :(

We are currently readying for deployment, to fourteen sites (we currently only have one pilot office). What we want to do is create an idiot-proof install program that will install the new forms, reports, run DDL and SQL scripts etc.

I am part way there (to the last point). You can only run scripts with a userid/password string, which we obviously don't want to include in our installation disks. Also this would mean we need to use the same password at each site.

Your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA guys.

--
Dwayne K. King              | "Logic is an organized way
Computer Systems Advisor,   |  of going wrong with confidence."