Re: What does thir error mean ?

From: Saqib Zulfiqar <saqib.zulfiqar_at_cressoft.com.pk>
Date: 1996/11/18

aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) wrote:

>Hi, we have Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.2 running under Solaris X86 2.5.1
>It has been working fine for over a week and all of a sudden I am getting
>the following error when running an update statement :

>update test_table
>*
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment number 4
>ORA-01650: unable to extend rollback segment R03 by 64 in tablespace RBS

>I am fairly new to Oracle and would appreciate any help that you can
>provide. Thanks.

>Atif Khan
>aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

I'm not a DBA but we had this problem with 7.0.16. When we used to fresh install ORACLE the optimum size of the rollback segments were not being set, Extents get allocated when insert, delete etc are performed, but they weren't being de-allocated after the commit has been made,
What we did ,was we offlined the rollback segments, dropped them and recreated them with the optimum size specified, Now the size of the RBS is your transaction size dependent, you'll have to figure out what the initial, next , optimum size would be, Or you might want to increase the size of your Rollback segments. For details refer to ORACLE's DBA Guide Documentation.

Hope this helps

Saqib Zulfiqar
Software Engineer
CresSoft Products Ltd. Received on Mon Nov 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CST