PL/SQL String Manipulation Problem?

From: Steve Busby <steve.d.busby_at_scsnet.com>
Date: 1996/11/15

Has anyone else had problems setting a string equal to itself and concatenating another string on the end. Like

	strMsg := ' Hello '
	strMsg := strMsg || ' World '

We get a 6502 Oracle error. strMsg is declared as VARCHAR. What am I doing wrong, or is this a PL/SQL bug? This is such a common programming construct for building long strings, I would think if there is a problem someone else would also have had it by now (which leads me to believe it's not a bug).

If we use two separate strings, it works fine

	strMsg1 := ' Hello '
	strMsg2 := ' World '
	strMsg3 := strMsg1 || strMsg2

But it is wasteful to use all the temporary strings we have to use to do that.

We are using Oracle's Procedure Builder from the Dev 2000 package.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Steve Received on Fri Nov 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CST