Re: Notes ODBC Taking Too Long

From: Darrin Tisdale <mdarrint_at_crd.lotus.com>
Date: 1996/11/15

The biggest issue with using Notes ODBC is that Notes is NOT a relational database. Hence, using it as such often creates performance issues.

If you need to use the WHERE clause construction, try to create a view in Notes so that Notes can pre-index the data in the documents on those fields. Then, use that view to do your selections. Try to avoid making queries to forms! No indexes.

If the WHERE is a compound where, as in WHERE sex = 'M' AND zip = '01864', you can try to create a view with that information already concatenated. Thus, you create a variable to hold the values concatenated, as in 'M01864', and then have your index query against just the one sorted column. Your performance will improve considerably.

--
Darrin Tisdale
Chief Architect, LS S&T

EDB <edbis_at_pacific.net.sg> wrote in article
<01bbd2a4$24c6d2e0$f05178cb_at_ppp.ncs.com.sg>...

| Hi,
|
| I'm currently making use of Oracle Forms45 to retrieve records from a
Lotus