32-bit Windows OCI applications

From: jim cox <jc_at_mars.superlink.net>
Date: 1996/11/12

i developed a 32-bit Windows console application that accesses Oracle via OCI. at present, i implicitly link to "orant71.dll" for OCI services. i've tested the application at my location successfully on Windows 95 and Windows NT (3.51 & 4.0) against Oracle for Netware 7.1.4.3.

after trying to run this application at a client with Oracle 7.2, it seems that implicitly linking to orant71.dll doesn't work, as their OCI seems to be encapsulated in orant72.dll and Windows won't load my app without orant71.dll.

i looked at another piece of 32-bit software that uses OCI, and it looks for (and dynamically links to) any of the following .dll's :

        OCIW32.DLL (for Win95 ?)
        ora72NT.dll
        ora71NT.dll
        orant72.dll
        orant71.dll

is this the preferred way to use 32-bit OCI to access Oracle? is there any other way around this problem?

thanks for any information/help,
jim c. Received on Tue Nov 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CST