Re: Pro*C - used in Oracle 6 vs 7 - relink? libraries?

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/11

email and posting to comp.databases.oracle.misc only

In article comp.databases.oracle.tools:<327614E0.7A21_at_asset-intertech.com>,

        mcoldewey_at_asset-intertech.com writes:
>Do Pro*C programs written and linked against Oracle 6 libraries and
>database need to be re-compiled and re-linked with different libraries
>when the database gets upgraded to version 7?
>Are there different
>libraries involved with version 7? (MS-DOS/Novell system).

I tend to work with unixen and NT/TCP only.

I cannot give you a definite answer but v7 OCI (the interface under pro-*) is different between V7 and v6. the v7 OCI still has v6 oci interface but the "new" v7 oci interface is much more "fun to be with" :-)

>I looked on
>the CD and didn't see any - would they be on a supplemental CD?

If nothing else you would be advised to rebuild and link to migrate to get v7 oci interface if nothing else.

>The old
>programs linked under version 6 work except for a couple of embedded SQL
>queries that don't.

This may be either the v6 oci, the v7 database OR the query itself.

v6 and v7 are different in many respects. One at least is that you have working RI.. :-)

Make sure your queries are still valid under v7... If your queries work under sqlplus then they should work under pro*c etc.

>Thanks,
>Mike
>--

Jacqui

--
Jacqui Caren, Software Systems, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
Commercial perl resources - support,training,products etc