Re: URGENT: ORACLE DOES NOT START

From: Dave Wilson <bingzap2_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/11/07

In article <01bbcc23$9b617e00$5d2e6dc2_at_ghostrider>, "Erik Manders" <pwmaner_at_wirehub.nl> wrote:

Hi... I see you are having a problem. You have probably already solved the problem but I'll throw a helping hand out anyway.

It looks as if your systems fails on startup when allocating the resources;

> ORACLE instance started.
> Database mounted.
> ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource
> Attempting to dismount database........Database dismounted.
> Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.
> SQL*DBA complete.
> ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource
> Database "prod" NOT started.

....but in true v6 form it never really exits correctly and hence leaves a half mounted instance running (this happens alot on initial setup if one thing or another goes wrong during the process.) and hence;

> When issuing dbstart on the prompt a get the message:
>
> ORACLE instance started.
> ORA-00205: error in identifying control file '?/dbs/cntrl@.dbf'
> ORA-09782: sfifi: another instance has the same database mounted.
> Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.

I have seen the same problem when too many resources have been setup in the init.ora file (ie shared mem segs, locks, semaphores, etc.) Check to make sure that after doing your memory upgrade someone didn't get memory-happy with the init.ora settings. If you don't have a backup of your init.ora use the default for the non-database specific initial values and then tune it later if it gets you up and running.

Other than that it will be the regular DBA drill...

  1. Check if all the files are there and that the access paths are ok. (since you moved them they may not have the correct mode/owner/group)
  2. Compare all the control files to see if they are the same. (they should be... but if not this is part of the problem.)
  3. Try to startup the database slowly. (ie. STARTUP MOUNT etc.) (check to see if you can get the basic oracle processes running without the prod database proper.)
  4. If things are still going bad... restore from your backup.

Tell me how it all turns out.

Good Luck

Dave Wilson

dwilson_at_paging.mot.com Received on Thu Nov 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CST