Re: oraperl

From: Ian Parkin <twod_at_roxy.sfo.com>
Date: 1996/11/05

: : I am not using DBD::Oracle, since it is still in beta.
: : I am trying compile oraperl with Oracle 7.3.2, on Solaris 2.5 x86.
: : The oraperl Makefile requires the files "libocic.a", and "libora.a",
: : which are nowhere to be found in the Oracle directories.
: : My Oracle/Solaris Sys-Admin person cannot find or create these files for
: : me.

I installed 7.3.2 on x86 with gcc and had no problems. The steps to get Pro*C/C++ up & running are archived at 'http://fiver.sns.com/solaris_x86/ solaris_x86_sql/oracle.html'

DBD-0.39 & DBI-0.72 compiled OK with a few warning messages and libora.a and libocic.a are *not* required at all.

The two libraries that you indicate are not present on my system - production release of 7.3.2.

The Makefile.PL program does some checking when creating the Makefile. It should generate warning/error messages if it can't find something :

# --- What Oracle is installed...

warn "\nWARNING: Oracle OCI (Pro*C) does not appear to be installed.\n"

        ."You must install Pro*C before you can build DBD::Oracle properly.\n\n"     unless (-f "$OH/lib/libocic.a"

                        and (-f "$OH/rdbms/demo/oratypes.h" or -f "$OH/rdbms/pub
lic/oratypes.h"))
                or (-f "$OH/precomp/demo/proc/proc.mk");        # 7.3.x
# XXX Todo: validate user has all the right Oracle stuff installed.

 } elsif (int($mkver) == 1) {

        if ($MK{LLIBOCIC}) {
            $linkwith = '$(LLIBOCIC) $(TTLIBS)';
        } else {
            warn "Warning: Guessing what to link with.\n";
            $linkwith = '-locic $(TTLIBS)';     # XXX GUESS HACK
        }

Thoughts :

Have you read the instructions and followed them ?

Have you the Pro*C distribution installed ?

Are you running the full production release of Oracle ?

Make sure that your environment is correctly set up prior to compiling DBD -

    make sure you can at least compile and use a simple Pro*C program.

IAP Received on Tue Nov 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CST