Re: Jumping To a record in SQL

From: varad acharya <vacharya.ford_at_e-mail.com>
Date: 1996/10/29

Paul Austin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am developing a web application using the oraPerl library to access
> an ORACLE 7 database. As part of the application we need to be able to
> jump to a particular record. We cannot use the ROWNUM pseudo column in
> the WHERE clause as this is calculated before an order by is issued.
> I have come up with the following solution and was wondering if anyone
> can think of a better solution (without using PL*SQL) to the solution
> in normal SQL.

If you have the disk space available you could simply create an index on the columns used in the WHERE clause of your query . This would let you use ROWNUM to jump to a specific row by making your query use this index. Of course you drop the ORDER BY clause in your query.

Considering the size of your table I would guess performance of updates and inserts into this tables should not suffer appreciably.

Good luck !

--

Regards,

Varad Acharya

 The above statements and opinions are my own and do not
 necessarily represent those of Ford Motor Company.