Re: -> Write table data to a text file? How? <-

From: Halina Monka <toyr002_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/10/25

Les Gainous wrote:

> To all,
>
> What's the best way to write data out to a text file: comma-delimited,
> tab-separated, or fixed length? I basically need to write out a table
> into a format usable by other RDMSs/applications. I'm looking for
> something similar to the Bulk-Copy Program from Sybase or Microsoft SQL
> Server.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Les Gainous, lesgainous_at_earthlink.net
>
> Visit my web page at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous
>
> Looking for a Client-Server job in California?
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous/jobs.html

The common way to dump Oracle table into the text file is to use spool command in sqlplus. All sqlplus formatting features may be aplied to achieve required format.
e.g

    spool myfile.txt # this will create operating system file

                     # and all output up to sppol off will be captured
    select col1,.....
    from table(s)
    where
    order....
    spool off

Halina Monka Received on Fri Oct 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CDT