Re: Building MySQL 5.7 From Source on Windows

From: Lyle H. Gray <lylefitzw_at_no.spam.gmail.com.invalid>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 16:50:54 -0500

[Quoted] Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net> wrote in news:qod9v4$nno$1 _at_jstuckle.eternal-september.org:

> OK, then how did you install the initial tables? If it was from an
> installation package, did the installation run to completion with no
> problems?
>
> And are you sure you've never tried to install MySQL (or MariaDB) on
> this machine before? Even a failed install can leave remnants of the
> base tables. This could also be true for files which may have been
> placed in your c:\windows directory hierarchy.

[Quoted] Sorry, I've never said that I hadn't installed MySQL on this machine before. It's true that I've never installed MySQL in this particular folder tree before.

For previous versions, in order to upgrade, I've made a copy of the existing folder tree in a new location and then downloaded a .zip package of the precompiled files into that folder tree (the .msi installer for 5.7 will not upgrade a 5.6 installation). Then I've updated the appropriate my.ini file to change the port number and have been able to start mysqld from the command line to verify that my installation was successful. This technique was successful when downloading 5.7.27 as a precompiled package.

I'm attempting to build MySQL from the source files from GitHub for 5.7.28. As such, the folders are created and loaded as part of that build process. I have to manually create a couple of folders, including the Data folder, which is initially empty. There is no mysql database created during that build -- I am expecting the initialization step to do so.

[Quoted] Perhaps it's not that I have a remnant from a previous installation interfering -- perhaps there's a piece that is missing when building from source that would be present if I started with a complete installation and then built over that, similar to how I have previously done upgrades. Received on Fri Oct 18 2019 - 23:50:54 CEST

Original text of this message